3/24/11

The Yellow Rose and The Yellow Waterlily

The Yellow Rose of Texas.....It's a Flower...It's a Song...It's a Texas Symbol.
It's All of the Above!
This one is from the Rose Garden at the International Waterlily Collection in
My Town...San Angelo, Texas

The International Waterlily Collection has been designated by the International Waterlily & Water Gardening Society as a premiere collection of lilies in existence. This collection is the life work of one man with the mind of a scientist, the heart of a poet and the soul that embodies preserving waterlily heritage for the generations to come. His name is Ken Landon. Ken is only able to display about 1/2 of 1% of the collection each year so there is always something new and wondrous to see.

Wonderous to see is an understatement!  Here is the wonderous Yellow Waterlily called Texas Dawn!

The centers of the Lilies are Yellow and the Petals are a variety of colors.

 are the Crowning Glory of the collection.
The giant water platter Victoria has captured the imagination of the world from the very first glimpse of it in its wild South American home in l801. Named for Queen Victoria, it was nearly 50 years later that it was first brought to bloom in "captivity" in England, inspiring a wave of enthusiasm for its size and the beauty of its flowers. Victoria Amazonica

My Waterlily Photo Collection Slideshow...click HERE to view on Flicker.
All photos are taken by CollectInTexas Gal
(all rights reserved)

As much as I would have liked to have gotten in the pool to photograph the waterlilies, I stayed dry and shot all my photos hanging over the railing and getting as close as possible without falling in.

That's me standing by the Victoria Amazonica Pond.

The guy in the pond is the official Waterlily Collection Photographer.  I was lucky enough to visit during the International Waterlily Festival last September and catch him at work and giving a very informative commentary.

You can see more of his photographs on the International Waterlily Collection Website.


The Color Yellow in My Town

21 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

That's really cool! And that photog really gets into his work, doesn't he? :)

Sylvia K said...

Your yellow rose of Texas is superb and so is your photos, as always! Lovely, lovely water lilies and colors. The bees are the perfect touch. Always a delight to visit your blog and see your latest photos! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Kerry said...

I love yellow roses! Perfect for Texas. Your photos of water lilies are amazing; I especially like the one with bees. So special.

Unknown said...

Your blog is beautiful, I love the water lillies with the bees. Great Photos.

slim pickins said...

wow, what a beautiful place to visit. gorgeous shots of the waterlilies - they're one of my favorite flowers. i love the shot of the person standing in the water!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful. I love water lilies and have them in my fish pond but not yet. I have never seen the large ones pictured there. That is amazing. Good to see you in that picture Texas Gal.
QMM

~JarieLyn~ said...

Sue, these are amazing photos. I really love how you placed your yellow rose into the state of Texas. Those water lillies are amazing too. Very pretty. I especially like the one with the bees.

Bagman and Butler said...

Those water lilies leaves are huge! And the bees are a great catch, hovering over the flower. Excellent stuff! And now I have the tune going through my head but can't remember the words -- "The yellow rose of Texas is as something something something..." I'll probably have to search for the lyrics or it will drive me nuts.

Camella Black said...

I loved the photos, my dad's favorite flowers were yellow roses. It took our florist calling 3 wholesalers to get enough for his funeral... it was stunning even in time of sorrow. I never hear the Yellow Rose of Texas or see a yellow rose that I don't think of him.

Great photos, thanks!

Kala said...

Your collection of water lily photos is fabulous!

Pauline said...

I've never seen so many waterlillies in the one place, it must be heaven to be there. Thanks for the link to the slideshow - fabulous! Just love the shot with the bees.

Jama said...

We have lots of water lily here in most ponds, they can grow in abundance in tropics. Those huge circular leaf suppose to be able to hold a small child in it without sinking....
I love yellow roses, my neighbour got a pot just outside her apartment and I'm always taking the photos.

DawnTreader said...

That display of waterlilies sounds like a really special place to visit. Thanks for the slideshow. I've never seen blue ones before. In our river by the town park in the summer we have white, red and yellow ones.

MadSnapper said...

Ok, let me guess! do you live in TEXAS? ha ha LOL. you could have stopped with your yellow collage of the rose laying on Texas tiles. all of your photos are beautiful, my favorite is the first one, but the lilies are a close second. all that beauty and the color yellow. great post. your header is beautiful.

Sarah Sullivan said...

WOW...I would love to go there..that is beautiful hon!! What lovely shots..the macros to die for..the bees of course I looooooove! Seriously I would have crawled right in for a closer shot..if allowed of course..wow! Oh and the Yellow Rose..one of my very favorite songs..and I much prefer a yellow or orange rose to a red thank you very much!!
Hugs to you hon, Sarah

NanU said...

I adore water lilies, and that purple one with the bees is incredible. Nice shootout!

Kim, USA said...

It's been a long time that I haven't seen waterlilies. And I so love them. My mom used to tell us not to play the water lilies at the pond for it's where the fairies lived. ^_^

FMTSO

In the eye of the beholder said...

I love the water lilies. I would of wanted to get in the water with that guy. Did he have to have special permission? Great job with the yellow rose over Texas.

Unknown said...

beautiful photos Sue. I am amazed they let people get into the pools. wonderful shoot out!!

storybeader said...

how beautiful! I haven't been to San Angelo but it's been on my radar screen for many years. I'll remember to stop in and see the waterlily collection at the Rose Garden! Thanks for showing it off {:-Deb

Pierre BOYER said...

Lovely Lily...
Greetings from France,

Pierre
http://pierre-boyer.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...